Each country has an opinion of every other country that they know of, expressed as a numerical value, which ranges from -200 to +200, and a descriptive attitude, which indicates an overall "mood" and general intentions. A country's Relations with another determine how likely it is to hurt or help them, such as entering agreements with them or joining coalitions against them. Relations are shaped by diplomatic actions, the countries' relative power, their proximity, recent wars, religion, casus belli and events. As such, how country A views country B is sometimes very different than how country B views country A.
The player can learn about another nation's view of their nation by hovering over the small symbol in the diplomacy screen next to the numerical representation of their view of the player's nation. Attitudes are affected by a number of factors, including opinion level, aggressive expansion, the distance between two countries and whether they border, and their relative military strengths. For example, a nation usually will not have the outraged attitude towards a nation it has a positive opinion of.
The attitude of a nation affects its willingness to accept diplomatic proposals, manifesting as modifiers that affect the decision of AI nations during diplomacy. For example, nations with the hostile attitude will almost never agree to an alliance even if mutual opinions are positive.
- 中立: This is the default attitude for nations far away from the player's. If a nation views the player as neutral, war can happen under certain circumstances, however, a good relationship with these nations can often prevent this.
- 敌意: This nation wants to fight the player, either to conquer land or break free from them. Unlike rivalry or outraged, this attitude is more opportunistic, and the nation may switch to another attitude if the player no longer appears as an appealing target. Growing in military strength or improving mutual opinions may change this attitude.
- 竞争性: If a nation sees the player as their rival, they will want to destroy the player and will be very unlikely to change their opinion. In contrast to someone who is outraged or simply in a military alliance against the player, a rival will be the player's enemy for the foreseeable future. A nation will stop being a rival if it becomes either far weaker or far stronger than the player's nation.
- 愤怒值: If a nation is outraged by the player's behaviour, they will actively seek to destroy the player. These nations are an enemy and will be so as long as the reasons for the outrage are present. They will very likely join a coalition against the player. Then they will revert to their "normal" view of the player. This attitude is linked to a high aggressive expansion modifier towards the player's nation and will change if aggressive expansion decreases.
- 防御同盟: This nation views the player as an ally in a defensive alliance. They are less likely to join offensive wars, however, unless they strongly dislike the target (especially if they're rivals).
- 友谊值: This nation views the player as a natural ally. They will not declare war on the player, and are unlikely to join their allies in a war against the player as long the diplomatic landscape doesn't change significantly, even if relations are bad. These nations will seek to ally with the player. Nations that regard the player as a historical friend are predisposed to hold the friendly attitude towards the player.
- 保护性: This nation wants to guard the player's nation—by diplomatically vassalizing them. It will guarantee the player's nation and defend it from enemies, easily accepting alliances though possibly as a prelude to vassalization, but also usually refusing to partake in any offensive wars.
- 忠诚: This subject nation views the player positively, has low liberty desire, and will cooperate in times of war and be little inclined to declare independence.
- 不忠: This subject nation views the player negatively or with hostility, has high liberty desire, and will refuse to defend the player's land or pay taxes, and be more inclined to declare independence.
- 叛离: This subject nation views the player as weak and unjust, and will be very likely to declare an independence war.
- 宗主: 该国视此玩家为他的属国。
- 渴望支配: This nation feels like the player should be its subject nation, and will pursue any attempt to make it that way.
- 受到威胁: If a nation feels threatened by the player they will seek safety in an alliance either against or with the player. This happens when the player is becoming relatively stronger than them. Here it is better to ally with them, because even though they fear the player they will often be ready to fight with them in a defensive war. However, they are still the player's enemy and will break the alliance as soon as the power landscape changes.
- 未知: The nation doesn't know the player's exists, or else the nation is human-controlled and thus unpredictable.
- Antagonize: The AI considers them a potential target for war
- Annex: The AI desires complete conquest of them
- Weaken: The AI want to weaken them by releasing countries, allying/guaranteeing their neighbours, etc
- Coalition: The AI want to form a coalition against them (Applies for rivalry attitude if the rival has at least 50 Aggressive Expansion against the target nation)
- Warn: The AI want to send warnings
- Vassalize: The AI want to vassalize them
- 同盟: The AI actively desires an alliance with them
- Befriend: The AI want to raise relations with them
- 保护: The AI want to protect them
- Threat: The AI want to protect themselves against them
- Ignore: The AI want to actively ignore them
Player nations have a default attitude towards other nations based on what the attitude of an AI nation would be. Players may manually adjust their attitude, however, to one of Friendly, Neutral, Hostile or Threatened.
|+50%||for having the native advancement ‘Trade Diplomacy’|
|+25%||with Icon of Christ Pantocrator as active icon (for Orthodox nations)|
|+20%||选择 象头神（甘尼许）作为君主的个人守护神（适用于 印度教国家）|
|+20%||拥有 外交家 顾问|
Ideas and policies:
Decisions, events and missions:
|−10%||Privateers||Decision: Enlist Privateers||until the end of the campaign.|
|−10%||Anti-Christian Edict||Decision: Anti-Christian Edict||until the country becomes Christian.|
|+10%||Competent Diplomacy||Event: Competent Diplomacy!||for 5 years.|
|−10%||Incompetent Diplomacy||Event: Incompetent Diplomacy!||for 5 years.|
|+5%||Western Wrecked Ship||Japanese culture event: Western Wrecked Ship
||until ruler changes.|
|−15%||Reckless Privateer||Privateer event: A Reckless Privateer
||for 10 years.|
|+15%||Curtailed Privateer||Privateer event: A Reckless Privateer
||for 10 years.|
|+20%||Sierra de la Plata||Seven Cities event: Sierra de la Plata - Mountain of Silver||until the end of the campaign.|
|+10%||Sistine Chapel decorated by Perugino||Papal event: Decorate the Sistine Chapel
||until the end of the campaign.|
|+30%||Bavarian Ambition||Bavarian mission: The Franconian Inheritance||for 10 years|
|Bavarian mission: Claiming the Wittelsbach lands||for 10 years|
|Bavarian mission: Uniting the Wittelsbach Domains||for 10 years|
|Bavarian mission: Drive the Hohenzollerns out||for 10 years|
The ‘Improve relations’ modifier only affect negative relationships. Positive relationships decay at a fixed rate.
- 附庸行动: 宗主国获得附庸国产生的全部侵略扩张（朝贡国不是附庸国）
- 侵略扩张惩罚会减少外交关系。这个负面修正会以基础 +2 每年的速度衰退，衰退速度受改善关系修正。
- 当侵略扩张超过 -50，且外交关系为负时，对本国的态度会变为愤怒。
- 当对至少4国家侵略扩张超过 -50 时，且不在战争中或停战期，他们可能会加入对本国的包围网，如果只有3个国家达到要求，或其中之一态度仍然为正面，则不会形成包围网。
通过威胁开战获得的省份有额外获得 33% 侵略扩张。
如果你的国家是 天主教，成为教廷控制者会使 侵略扩张减少-20%。
Border friction simulates the tensions felt by countries with neighbouring territories, due to migration, land rights etc.
- 边境争端事件 can occur, and will fire more or less often based on diplomatic opinion
These modifiers are non-event based. The Min/max value represents the highest or lowest value available depending on the cause. For example, returning six cores gives no benefit over returning five.
|敌人的敌人||+1||+20||Ticking from 0-20 when enemy is set. Has no effect on relations with vassals or personal unions.|
|可接纳的异端 (共和国)||−5||Catholic – Orthodox – Coptic|
|和可接纳的异端相邻 (共和国)||−10||Catholic – Orthodox – Coptic|
|可接纳的异端||−10||Catholic – Orthodox – Coptic|
|和可接纳的异端相邻||−20||Catholic – Orthodox – Coptic|
|接受战争援助||+1||+15||Ticking from 0-15|
|Transfers trade power to||+20||+20||at 100% transfer|
|Getting trade power from||+20||+20||at 100% transfer|
|In Same Trade League||+20|
|Wants your provinces||−15||−200||Varies depending on how much they want and how many.|
|Relative power to liege||−1|
|Brothers in struggle against the infidels||+1|
|Forced other to give up Claim on us||15||−1||15|
|They supported our rebellion||+100||−5|
|They lifted the excommunication against us.||+50||−5||+50|
|They excommunicated us||−100||+5||−100|
|They refused a call for crusade||−100||+5||−100|
|They refused a call for religious unity||−100||+5||−100|
|They refused to defend the empire||−50||+5||−50|
|They refused to join our war||−50||+5||−50|
|They refused to join the war against us||+10||−2||+10|
|They came to the defense of the empire (Elector)||+100||−3||+100|
|They came to the defense of the empire||+50||−3||+50||0 to the prince attacked|
|They claimed the throne of another imperial subject||−25||+3||−25|
|They used their royal marriage as pretext to claim our throne||−100||+3||−100|
|They used their royal marriage as pretext to claim a throne||−50||+3||−50|
|They refused fleet basing rights||−10||+1||−10|
|They revoked our fleet basing rights||−20||+1||−10|
|They revoked our military access||−20||+1||−10|
|They refused military access||−10||+1||−10|
|They broke free from us||−100||+5||−100|
|Our overlord abandoned us||−200||+2||Cancelling vassalage.|
|They Force Vassalized us||−100||+2|
|They Forced us into a Union||−100||+2|
|They broke free from us (Protectorate)||−50||+1||−50|
|Our overlord abandoned us||−50||+1||−50||Cancelling protectorate.|
|They voted for us||+25||−2||+25||Elector voted for us.|
|They changed their vote from us||−25||+1||−25||Elector stopped voting for us.|
|Returned a province to us||+25||−1||+25|
|Liberated our province||+25||−1||+25||Recaptured a province that was occupied by a hostile third party.|
|Defended our provinces||+10||−1||+20||Defeated an army that was sieging their province.|
|Insulted||−50||+5||0||for 10 years.|
|Revoked our Electorate||−200||+8|
|Revoked an Electorate||−100||+2||same religion|
|Revoked an Electorate||−20||+2||other religion|
|Grant Free City Status||+25||−1|
|Revoked our Free City status||−100||+4|
|Forced Break Alliance||−50||+2||Applies to both the target country and the country they are forced to break alliance with.|
|Broke Royal Marriage||−75||+3|
|Broke Alliance in wartime||−50||+1|
|Declared War||−25||+1||against the country|
|Was at War||−15||+1||−15||against the country|
|Declared War On Neighbor||−10||+1|
|Violated Truce||−100||+1||with the country|
|Violated Truce Against Neighbor||−25||+1|
|Fought to the end||+10||−1||+20||fought a war together to the end.|
|Razed our provinces||−25||+2||−200|
|Conquered province without claim||−5||+1|
|Conquered province of our religion group||−10||+1||−10|
|Conquered our province||−25||+1|
|Conquered Rival Province||+15||−1||(per war)|
|Gave province in peace||+10||−1|
|Declared War on Enemy||+10||−1||Simply entering war against enemy counts.|
|Did Covert Actions||−20||+5||−100|
|Improved Relations||0||−3||+200||Max is +100 for independent countries, +200 for vassals. Ticks down on year change.|
|Enforced Peace against||−10||+1|
|Improved imperial relations||+40||0||for 20 years|
|Released in Peace||+100||−1|
|Removed provinces from the Empire||−50||+1|
|Left the Empire||−100||+2|
|Gave us Independence||+100||−1|
|Illegal War inside Japan||−25||+1|
|Broke Transfer Trade Power relation||−20||+2|
|Revoked March Status||−200||+3|
|Violated Treaty of Tordesillas||−50||+1|
|Abandoned the Holy Roman Empire||−100||+2||25 years|
|Forced us to return land||−100||+2|
|Unlawful territory||−25||+1||Any HRE country after the other country refused the emperor's demand.|
|Land restored to the Empire||+20||−1|
|Annexed a member of the Holy Roman Empire||−25||+1||Members of the empire gain this modifier towards the annexing country.|
|Annexed vassal||−30||+1||Other subjects only.|
|Send Gift||+1||+25||Full bonus lasts for 5 years.|
|Broke free from us||−50||+2|
|Enforced Religious Unity||−25||+1|
|Supported Independence of our Subject||−100||+1||−100|
|Supported our Independence||+100||−1|
|Rejected Support Independence offer||−25||+1|
|Supporting Independence of our Subject||−100|
|Supporting our Independence||+50|
|Broke Support Independence treaty||−50||+1|
|Was not given occupied cores and claims in the peace||−1||+1|
|Same Dynasty after Election||+100||−2|
|Dynasty lost Election||−20||+1|
|Recently Declared Independence||−50||+5||−50|
|Share Advanced Neighbor||+50||+50||updated every month|
|Raided Coast||−25||+1||−100||Modifier is per province, e.g. raiding a single sea tile can max it.|
- 奥地利 – 匈牙利
- 波斯尼亚 – 塞尔维亚
- 不莱梅 – 里加
- 丹麦 – 挪威
- 吕贝克 - 不莱梅
- 吕贝克 - 汉堡
- 吕贝克 - 里加
- 不莱梅 - 汉堡
- 汉堡 - 里加
- 科钦 – 维查耶那加尔
- 波兰 – 立陶宛
- 葡萄牙 – 卡斯蒂利亚
- 里加 – 利沃尼亚骑士团
- 条顿骑士团 – 利沃尼亚骑士团
- 狄奥多罗 – 特拉比松
- 威尼斯 – 圣约翰骑士团
- 奥地利 – 奥斯曼
- 奥地利 – 法兰西
- 条顿骑士团 – 波兰
- 希瓦 – 乌兹别克[+]
- 希瓦 – 布哈拉[+]
- 加勒比 – 阿拉瓦克
- 大帐汗国 – 奥斯曼[+]
- 大帐汗国 – 喀山
- 马林迪 – 蒙巴萨
- 乌兹别克 – 帖木儿[+]
- 奥斯曼 – 马穆鲁克
- 奥斯曼 – 拜占庭
- 奥斯曼 – 帖木儿
- 帕泰 – 蒙巴萨[+]
- 帖木儿 – 马穆鲁克
- 帖木儿 – 德里[+]
- 帖木儿 – 莫卧儿
- 蒙古 – 卫拉特
- 莫斯科 – 诺夫哥罗德
- 休伊 – 可可米斯
- 伊奥 – 卡奈姆-博尔努
- 卡斯蒂利亚 – 格拉纳达[+]
- 哈萨克 – 乌兹别克[+]
There are several diplomatic actions available if a country want to improve relations with another country.
- Improve Relations action is the most direct way. A country can get up to +100 relation points with another country. It takes time and ties down a diplomat.
- Send Gift will get a country up to +25 relation points for a one-time gift of money. The relation bonus will last for 5 years, effects from several gifts do not add up, only the last gift will affect relations.
- Give Subsidies will transfer a specified amount of money each month to the target country for a certain duration. Maintaining subsidies will improve the target country's relations with the subsidizer each month, up to a maximum of +15. This will disappear entirely once subsidies stop, unlike Improve Relations which ticks down over time.
- Offer Military Access to the target country, allowing their land armies to pass through the territory of the one who offered. Acceptance will raise the target country's opinion of the offering country by +10.
- Transfer Trade Power ask a target non-subject nation to transfer a percentage of its trade power to the requester. Grants a mutual relation bonus of +20 per 100% of power transferred. (only with Wealth of Nations enabled)
- Influence Nation gives +25 with the target country for one time their yearly income, if you are Great power and the target nation is not. Lasts for 10 years and for that duration the target country receives a monarch point on whatever category it has the lowest influx of. (only with Rights of Man enabled)
- Take on foreign debt improves relations by +10 for every loan of debt the target country has that you take over. Requires being a Great power while the target is not.. (only with Rights of Man enabled)
The following actions will tie down Diplomatic Relations point.
- Royal Marriage may arrange royal marriages with others. This will improve relations by +25 while in effect. Only available to monarchies, Noble Republics and Dutch Republics.
- Proclaim Guarantee will call the nation that guaranteed into the war if someone declares war on the guaranteed country. Grants the nation that guaranteed +10 relation points.
- Offer Alliance proposes to form an alliance with the target nation. Grants +50 relations if accepted.
Although human-controlled countries do not have game-defined attitudes toward other nations (except their rivals, subjects and overlords), they still have numerical opinion values which enable or effect diplomatic options. For example,
- In order to form an alliance opinion in both directions has to be positive.
- Declaring war against a country viewed too positively hurts stability.
If Austria was to improve relations completely with France. France would like Austria +100 and Austria would like France +50. One way to raise one's own country's opinion of another country is to ask for military access. Other opinion modifiers work both ways: a royal marriage, having the same dynasty, rival modifiers and religion modifiers affect both countries' opinions.
|附属国||自定义附庸 • 殖民领 • 卫戍国 • 君合国 • 贸易公司 • 朝贡国 • 附庸国|
|其它||使者 • 军事同盟 • 关系 • 外交回应 • 间谍 • 殖民 • 教宗 • 神圣罗马帝国|
|君主能力||君主 • 顾问 • 理念组 • 国家理念 • 科技 • 稳定度 • 政策|
|其它||决议 • 任务 • 事件 • 修正 • 灾难 • 政府 • 派系 • 威望 • 思潮 • 过度扩张 • 厌战度 • 力量投射|