力量投射（英文：Power Projection）is a mechanic which rewards nations for acting aggressively towards their Rivals. It encourages nations to have long-lasting feuds and to work against worthy adversaries. Aggressive acts include embargoing, declaring war, taking provinces, subsidizing enemies of rivals, and sending privateers. Its value is capped at +100.
Example: 23 power projection is left from eclipsing rivals. Eclipsing another one would add another 10 power projection, potentially resulting in 23 + 10 = 33 power projection. However the value is capped at 30, so 3 power projection is lost and the value is set to 30, decaying at the normal rate of -1 power projection per year.
- Static Effects:
- Keeping the same rival for a year provides +1 power projection per year, up to a maximum of +5 for each one.
- Embargoing a rival gives +(1–10) power projection, depending on how much the embargo affects the rival's trade [exact formula?] to a maximum of 10.
- Giving subsidies to a war opponent of a rival gives +0.5 power projection for each percent of total income given, as long as the war lasts.
- Privateering in a trade node where a rival has trade power gives from +1 up to +10 power projection, depending on the trade power of the privateers, the value of the node and the percentage of the rival's power in the node.
- Being a great power gives varying power projection - from +10 at 8th place to +25 at 1st place (requires Rights of Man DLC).
- Each completed age objective gives +3 power projection (requires Mandate of Heaven DLC).
- Event Modifiers:
- Declaring a war against a rival gives +10 power projection. The rival must be the war leader. Maximum: +20
- Joining a war against a rival gives +10 power projection. The rival must be the war leader. Maximum: +20
- Taking provinces from a rival or giving rival's provinces to a vassal gives +0.5 power projection per development of the taken provinces. Maximum: +100
- Removing provinces from a rival (e.g. cancel vassal, return core) gives +0.5 power projection per development of the affected provinces. Maximum: +100
- Vassalizing a rival gives +(0.5) power projection per development. Note that vassals aren't eligible to be rivals so a new rival must be selected. Maximum: +100
- Insulting a rival without having a truce treaty gives +5 power projection. Maximum: +5 for all rivals (not counted for each rival separately)
- Humiliating/Show strength to a rival in a peace treaty gives +30 power projection. Maximum: +30
- Eclipsing a rival, i.e. becoming too strong (relatively) for it to be a valid rival, gives +10 power projection. Maximum: +30
- Supporting rebel factions of a rival gives +50 power projection, modified by the percentage of income used by the supporter. Maximum 50
Power projection is lost in the following ways:
- Having an empty rival slot costs -1 power projection per year. There is no penalty if one chooses at least one rival or there are no possible rivals at all. If one of these conditions is fulfilled, the penalty vanishes completely. Maximum penalty: -60
- Refusing to join a war against a rival gives -20 power projection. Maximum: -20
- Losing provinces to a rival gives -0.5 power projection per province development. Maximum: -100
- Being humiliated/shown strength gives -30 power projection. Maximum: -30
If a rival is replaced, completely conquered or ceases to be an acceptable rival, all static effects gained against that rival will be lost; the eclipsing mechanic makes up for some of the loss power projection. Power projection resulting from event modifiers is not lost, and continues to decay normally.