Whatever religion is the largest in the new vassal's territories in terms of development will become the vassal's state religion; the number of provinces following any given religion is not the determining factor. If a same-religion vassal is necessary, converting the future vassal's richer provinces before releasing the vassal will ensure the vassal's adherence to the true faith.
The new country will maintain its default assigned tech group but will start with all the technologies its master possesses. The Creek, for example, will always release as North American tech group country with Creek culture equal to its master in technology.
If the released nation's core provinces include the releasing country's capital, the capital will not be released, even if it is in the list of provinces to be released.
宗主国可以把附庸（包括自定义附庸）改封成卫戍国，它是一种特殊军事向的附庸。卫戍国在军事力量上获得加成，但相应的无法吞并且无需向他们的宗主国缴税。宗主国可以撤销卫戍特权，但会受到 -1 稳定的负面冲击，并且受到与目标附庸（原卫戍国）的关系 -50 的惩罚。只要卫戍国的发展度小于其宗主国（发展度）的25% ，它能得到以下增益：
A nation can be force vassalized as part of a peace treaty. In the negotiations screen, there is an option for "Become Vassal" under the menu "Treaties" which should be the farthest right menu button on the screen. When force vassalizing a nation, the warscore needed is determined by the total development of all their provinces. The base warscore cost per point of development is 1. Sometimes, the total development is too high to vassalize the target nation. The normal maximum is a total development of 100. However, certain missions/cb's can lower the warscore cost by a % (example: Subjugation reduces cost by 50%, and cuts out any diplomatic power costs).
In the early game, only low-development countries with poor or few provinces can be vassalized via war. The maximum war score is 100% and a rich province typically costs about 25% war score. A good way to reduce a country's size is to force them to return cores and release countries, as these do not result in overextension or aggressive expansion for the annexing country, and if the nation is of a Buddhist faith, it does not pay diplomatic power.
The benefits to the military victor of choosing vassalization instead of annexation are:
- No Overextension penalty.
- Using diplomatic points instead of administrative points to annex vassalized provinces.
- The ability to feed a vassal, to conquer land without using one's own admin power, as well as to expand whilst having a lot of overextension.
- Less agressive expansion than simply conquering the provinces of the country.
- The vassal will manage its own armies in war, which is less micromanagement for a player ruling a massive empire.
The downsides to the military victor of choosing vassalization instead of annexation are:
- The vassal occupies a diplomatic relation slot, reducing the number of allies possible (but vassals are more dependable than allies).
- The direct benefits of those provinces to the overlord are smaller than if they belonged to the overlord (less tax, production, forcelimits, trade power, and the overlord can't build buildings). (However, the overlord and vassal combined are stronger than either one alone.)
- Longer time until the land is part of the victor's country. There is a waiting period of 10 years in addition to the time that it takes to diplo-annex the vassal.
- Once annexed the Local Autonomy of every province will be raised to 60%, instead of 50% if taken in war without a claim
- Once annexed, the country gains a -3 malus to its diplomatic reputation. This matters in regards to being elected as the emperor, diplo-vassalizing and diplo-annexing countries, and a host of other diplomatic actions as well. Without help from advisors, ideas, or events, annexing another vassal will be very slow or impossible until this malus expires.
Newly force-vassalized countries will receive a -100 opinion malus to relations with their overlord, which will decay at a rate of 2 per year. It is often a good idea to immediately begin improving relations with the new vassal to prevent disloyalty.
- 必须与目标国家有 +190 的关系。
- 必须与目标国家保持 的关系。
- 宗主国与附庸目标国的综合 科技差不能大于 50%，满足科技要求外，还要求目标国思潮接受个数比宗主国少最多1个。
- 目标国家至多100 。
Willingness to accept vassalization is shown in the tooltip for the check-mark in the "offer vassalization" button.
The factors that influence an AI nation's desire to accept a vassalization offer are:
|Attitude towards proposer||Ally: +10|
|We have a royal marriage||+10|
|Trust||Scales linearly between the following points:|
|+10 at 100 trust|
|0 at 50 trust|
|-40 at 30 trust|
|-2000 at <30 trust|
|Proposer's diplomatic reputation||+3 per positive point|
|-3 per negative point|
|Difference in government rank||+10 per difference in rank|
|Nation has a religion not in the same religious group||-20|
|Nation has a different religion within the same religious group||-10|
|Nation is a merchant republic||-30|
|Proposer economic base compared to target nation||+30 to -90‡|
|Proposer military power compared to target nation||+20 to -40|
|Proposer is a merchant republic||-10|
|Nation is member of the empire||-25 if proposer is also a member|
|-75 if proposer is not a member|
|Nation is an elector||-1000|
|Nation has subjects of their own||-1000|
|Nation is 教宗国/the Pope||-1000|
|Nation has more than 100 total development||-1000|
|Nation is not a strategic interest||-1000|
|Proposer owns target nation's core provinces||-1000|
|Distance between borders||-0.5 per distance between borders†|
†: Distance between borders can only be seen in debug mode.
‡: Determined by:
Where base tax and production are the total province base tax and production of the country without any buildings or modifiers. Note that these provinces have to be states, or they will not count. The base tax of all current vassals also adds to the economic base of the nation offering vassalization.
- （被迫放弃）经一纸和平条约: 当宗主国输掉一场战争.
- （主动放弃）经外交行动: 宗主国可以以-25威望和减少与原附庸国-200的关系为代价解放附庸国. 但, 只要附庸的独立倾向超过50%,上述的关系惩罚将不会发生.
Vassals are essentially puppets of their suzerain, or overlord country. They cannot declare war or enter royal marriages, except with their overlord. They always join their suzerain's wars, and cannot negotiate separate peace treaties.
The suzerain also receives military access and the ability to dock its boats in the vassal's ports, but not fleet basing rights. If the vassal is an elector in the Holy Roman Empire, its suzerain gets a +50 point bonus to the vassal's electoral vote opinion and a -50 point malus (stacking for each vassal) to the opinions of non-controlled electors.
Vassals may try to break free by declaring war on their overlord. They may also ask other nations to support their independence. Nations supporting independence are automatically called into the independence war, and act as temporary allies for the duration of the war. Other countries may offer support for independence without being asked, although vassals that like their overlord will never accept.
After ten years, vassals can be annexed by their suzerain, which gets cores on all provinces that the vassal considers cores. This makes vassalization a good way to expand without spending administrative points, or in some cases even without having to wage war.
Vassals have to pay a part of their tax income to the suzerain. This part is determined by the ‘vassals tax efficiency’ of the overlord, which is the sum of all ‘income from vassals’ modifiers. The base value for the all countries is 10%. A overlord can increase its ‘vassals tax efficiency’ by the following:
|+25%||as elective monarchy or feudal monarchy|
|+10/20/30%||as tribal kingdom (depending on government rank)|
|+5%||with parliament and “Harmonization of State Laws” or “Create Offices for Vassal Nobles” as active issue|
|–5 - +5%||depending on legitimacy (0-100)|
Ideas and policies:
|+25%||Firm Hand||Influence ideas event: “A Firm Hand”||for 10 years.|
|+10%||Vassals Feel Safe||Influence ideas event: “Vassals Feel Safe”||for 10 years.|
|−5%||Vassals are unwilling to pay scutage||Subject interaction events: “War Never Changes”||for 5 years.|
The overlord can increase the paid vassals tax by +50% if he asks for scutage in exchange for the renunciation of military support from the vassal.
Ideas and policies:
Decisions and events:
|+100%||Firm Hand||Influence ideas event: “A Firm Hand”||for 10 years.|
Vassals have liberty desire (introduced with patch 1.10) like the other subject nations. A liberty desire less than 50% will remain in the 'loyal' attitude, while vassals with a liberty desire above 50% will become 'disloyal'.
Nations who are historical rivals will have a base liberty desire of 50% and as such make poor vassals since to diplo-annex them there needs to be less than 50% liberty desire.
- （向宗主国）发起独立战争 (附庸基于它和它的盟友的总军事实力与宗主国相近，即认为有机会打赢独立战争，此时战争随时会爆发).
Because vassals taken from wars have poor opinions and distrust of their new liege, it is important to raise the vassal's opinion as much as possible before the truce from the war expires. When suing for peace, increasing the warscore cost of the demands will also increase the truce period, granting more time to improve vassal's opinions, build trust through wars, and allow bad opinion modifiers to decay.
This is done through the Subject Interaction section of the Subject Menu.
- 附属国成为附庸至少10年。附庸时间可在附庸国外交界面附属图标 的提示中确认。
- 宗主国与附庸的关系至少 190。
- 附庸国的独立倾向少于 50%。
Annexation progress of vassals appears in the diplomacy interface as a small vertical progress bar next to the vassalage icon . If the annexation process is cancelled before completion, all progress is lost, including the invested diplomatic power.
Note that even with a −100% modifier to annexation cost, annexation will still cost a minimum of 12.5% of the full annexation cost.
Since the cost of annexation can change during annexation, it may be worth only buying modifiers once the full annexation cost (post-modifier) has nearly been paid, especially if the modifier is a policy (i.e. the cost is increased for every month over 10 years for which it is active).
Consider timing annexations so that they finish within six months of one another: since an event such as that giving the Annexed Vassals modifier can be postponed for up to six months, the player can, for this time, avoid the hit to diplomatic reputation, and can annex vassals at full speed without waiting 10 years between annexations. Since the -3 diplomatic reputation from the Annexed Vassals modifier does not stack, you will also avoid both long periods with the penalty and short periods with an extreme penalty.
- +5 威望
- 触发事件获得名为“合并附庸”的全国修正10年，效果为 -3 外交声望
- -30 与其它附庸国关系，不影响卫戍国
- -25 如果吞并的附庸是神罗的成员国，你与其它帝国成员关系
- Control of all the vassal's provinces, army, and navy. This may put the overlord over its force limit.
- Cores on all the vassal's core provinces.
- 60% local autonomy in all new cores (or their previous autonomy level, if above), and 0 if the overlord already had a core.
考虑到对战领省份核心化所需的时间和行政点数, 特别是对于大国, 外交合并是征服世界的有趣替代方式: when a vassal is annexed, all of the vassal's core provinces become cores of the annexing country. Annexation also doesn't incur aggressive expansion relations penalties and no separatism is incurred if Separatist Rebels have not taken control of any provinces since the initial annexation. The diplomatic power is also expended over time and there is no penalty akin to overextension for taking a long time while annexing.
- Better Relations Over Time is the most important bonus, as it makes Aggressive Expansion decay faster. Hiring a Diplomat increases this modifier.
- 通过把钱当做礼物给予目标国家，（根据给予金额）关系从+1到至多+25 (持续时间60月)
- 通过响应军事求援得到可敬的联盟+10 (逐年递减)
- 使用军队保证附庸的省份主权 +10 (逐年递减)
- 将附庸的省份从占领状态中解放出来 +25(逐年递减)。包括保护，解放叛军的目标或已攻占省份。
- 给予战争补助, 至多 +15。 一旦取消, 改善的关系随之消失。
- 有许多丢失的核心省份或宣称: wage war with other nations and take the provinces cored or claimed by the vassal so they can core the land instead of you. The "Grant Province" option should be used from 1.14 onwards, as it reduces the liberty desire of the vassal by half of the total development granted, easily keeping it in line, provided granting the province does not increase your subject's total development over 100.
- 拥有强大的军事和经济理念-大附庸能在一场战争中投入20,000+ 的士兵, 从不同的方向进攻城池,清理未被占领的无城防省份，以及有时能独自打赢一场战役。
- 政体非商业共和; they have a malus for accepting vassalization.
- 无敌对造核修正 - these are applied to all cored provinces, including newly cored ones "fed" to the vassal, making those provinces even more expensive to annex than they normally would have been. In particular, North African and Caucasian nations tend to have these modifiers in their traditions.
- 无需宗主帮助即可平定叛乱。 While you can keep your armies around to patrol for rebels in vassal lands, it is better to look for a vassal that has unrest reduction, tolerance or missionary strength in its National Idea set. Ideally the vassal will be the same religion as the overlord but it is not necessary.
- 与宗主国拥有同样的文化和宗教-这两项都会增加每月的外交合并花费的点数。 如果你的外交威望较低，供奉一宗，文化同源将会大大的提高你与附庸的合并速，。
授予附庸封底有时会有奇效。这常被称为喂小弟吃地。由于每个附庸都占据一个外交关系，同时在实际吞并过程中占用一位外交官，那么喂小弟吃地相较于仅仅把它当成附庸就成了一个好主意 - each vassal annexed also makes it more difficult to annex subsequent vassals with a stacking -30 hit to relations that can make it impossible to get older vassals above 190 relations along with a -3 penalty to diplomatic reputation for 10 years, reducing the speed at which vassals can be annexed in that time. However, the more provinces the vassal has, the higher its overall development, increasing the diplomatic power required to annex it. Large vassals can take thousands of diplomatic power and decades to annex, even with discounts from Influence ideas and Administrative efficiency. It is recommended to try and only annex vassals when taking Influence ideas as the cost will be 25% less; for a bigger discount, adopt the Vassal-Integration Act policy (requires Administrative Ideas completed in addition to Influence Ideas).
最好的喂地方式是战后直接占据省份后通过与附庸的互动选项“授予省份核心”将（未核心化的）省份封与附庸。 这将会减少授予附庸的省份发展度一半数值的独立倾向， easily offsetting the increase in liberty desire that vassals get from becoming more powerful and can even negate the +25%/+50% liberty desire taken on by vassals who have more than 100 or 300 development, respectively - feeding a vassal even 200 development worth of land will reduce its liberty desire by 100%. Vassals will not accept a province if it will increase their Overextension to 100% or more, and by annexing the land directly the overlord might have to suffer more Aggressive Expansion and pay diplomatic power for the provinces, if the provinces being taken were not included in the war goal.
The advantages of vassal feeding are primarily in not having to deal with rebels as much (as the AI will often use its military power for Harsh Treatment, saving you the expense) and saving Administrative Power in favour of expending Diplomatic Power; Administrative Technology is almost always more important than Diplomatic Technology as it allows you to unlock new idea groups. From patch 1.16, care must be taken to balance vassal feeding with direct expansion as falling too far behind in diplomatic tech relative to administrative and military tech will increase corruption.
宗主国可通过在战后和平条约中强迫战败国归还核心来给予附庸省份。从侵略扩张上将这比直接夺走省份代价要小得多，担任需花费相同的外交点数。 由于附庸有那些省份的核心， 那些省份不会使附庸出现过度扩张，归还省份将会极大地改善受地国的关系。 (每个省份+40 至多+200,逐年-1).
Alternatively, a vassal may independently occupy an enemy province where it has a core. A province sieged by a vassal will be occupied by their suzerain, but an exception is when the vassal has a core in the province and is the siege leader. The suzerain can also transfer occupation to their vassal whenever needed.
Once a province is occupied by the vassal, the suzerain war leader can demand the enemy to directly cede the province to the vassal. If this happens, the vassal will use their own diplomatic monarch points though their overlord will still take the Aggressive Expansion for the province. This also gives an opinion boost, but less than returning a core with the suzerain's diplomatic monarch points.
Beware that the Administrative Efficiency used to compute the province war score cost is the one of the country who receives it. If you have a better Administrative Efficiency than your vassal, you will have to pay more war score cost to give him directly those provinces (via "Cede province" or "Return core") than taking them for you directly and ceding them to the vassal in peacetime (via the option in the Subject Interaction menu (available with the Common Sense DLC)). But as previously mentioned, the first option will give less Aggressive Expansion, and give an opinion bonus, whereas the second one will give more AE and also a reduction in Liberty Desire for the concerned subject (more than you get from the opinion boost in the first option), which stacks (contrary to opinion, capped at 200).